- New widget system that allows users to create custom widgets and add them to different sections of their sites. Implemented several types of widgets including:
- Custom text / html : A static widget that contain custom text or html.
- List of posts : Lists of posts that can be filtered by type, with options for sorting, etc.
- Media embed: Embed videos, images, or external widgets from other web sites.
- Post in a box: Put any of your posts in a widget.
- Slideshow gallery: Display an image gallery as a slideshow.
- Taxonomy widget: Filter and group your posts by term.
- Book TOC : A widget that contains the table of content of any book
- Social widgets: A set of social widgets (facebook , twitter, rss feed etc.)
- Publications widgets: A set of widgets created to filter publications by contributor, year or type
- Flexible front page layout allowing users to drag widgets of any type into any of the eleven regions now available.
- Contextual administration links now includes:
- Configure / remove widget
- Edit / delete post
- The section layout
- Feature settings / customization
- Control Panel reorganization.
- Underused CP News removed and replaced with quick view of changes since last login.
- Separated user acount from site’s user management section
- Cleaned-up settings section of the control panel. Grouped settings by category
- Super fast booklet navigation.
- Improved the contact form and the format of the e-mail content
- Added search for files
For more details about these new features please click here (pdf)
Major Bugs Fixed
- Ability to edit/add all non-group content types outside a space
- Users can edit posts they have marked unpublished
- Admin cant add sitewide pages
A full list of bugs fixed can be found here: https://redmine.hmdc.harvard.edu/projects/openscholar/versions/23
Upgrade from previous version
- Create a backup of your database prior to updating
- Put your site into "Maintenance mode" the update may take a few minutes (/admin/settings/site-maintenance)
- un-tar and replace the file tree (stash the custom modules you have added in another part of the filesystem, then move them back after the new version is in place)
- Run (/update.php)
- Run all avalible updates
- In the rare case that your upgrade fails due to timeout the update have been written to recover themselves so you can refresh the page or hit start again
- When updates complete verify that there are no red "failure: message"
- Revert Features, the easiest way is with drush by running (
drush features-revert-all) or you can use the ui at (/admin/build/features). The UI may still indicate that overrides exist, this is expected.
- Clear the cache to remove any cached pages
- It is now safe to remove maintenance mode if your site looks ok
- Have trouble? Post to (#openscholar) on irc.freenode.net or (http://groups.drupal.org/openscholar)
Developer Upgrade Notes
- Drupal Core Patched to allow editing of unpublished nodes http://goo.gl/Y9Dz4
- Tested and now compatible with PHP 5.3
- Changes in OS theme info files
- Old namespace of “scholar” replaced with “os”
- New Regions added to base template. content-top, content-bottom, content-left, content-right. Currently these are only used on the front page.
- Boxes (drupal.org/project/boxes) can be used in addition to blocks, they make use of the standard widget definition a list of new widgets and the added features provided by the os_boxes module can be found here.
- Some Block id were removed/replaced (old block id’s are on the left and the new block id’s are on the right. It is not common for a theme to access them directly but a list is included here for theme developers)
- Several Drupal contrib modules received upgrades